THE SCIENCE BEHIND: FRIZZ-FREE HAIR
In healthy hair, the cuticle which is the outer layer of each strand, lays down smooth, like shingles on a roof, one on top of the other. If hair becomes dry and damaged, some of those shingles lift, or become damaged and missing. If this happens, moisture can escape, but also moisture from the air can enter the hair shaft, causing it to swell, kink, and in other words, it becomes frizzy.
The more porous or damaged your hair is, the more easily it will become frizzy. Your hair shaft will also be open to damage and more susceptible to split ends and breakage. The healthy hair dream is to seal your cuticle, so it lies smooth.
Hair tends to become affected by frizz when the humidity in the air starts climbing above 60%. Whilst we have a temperate climate here in the UK, the mix of warm and wet weather that we so often have means that the air can become heavy and humid in the summer. Tropical climates of course experience greater levels of humidity, meaning it’s even harder to fight the frizz.
Although frizzy hairstyles certainly had their moment (looking at you, 1980s), frizz makes hair harder to style and keep in place all day. To fight the frizz, you need to make sure your hair is hydrated, moisturised and nourished, as the more parched your hair the more frizz-prone it will be. Read my blog on dry and dehydrated hair to understand the difference between hydration and moisturisation, and how to get your hair to its healthiest.
Some tips and tricks you can add to your routine when taming frizz and fluff are:
- Rinse with cool or warm water, never hot; hot water strips the hair of its natural oils, removing moisture and cuticle protection.
- Choose Care with frizz-fighting ingredients such as our Rich Cleanse, Rich Nourish, and Curl Cleanse.
- Be gentle when towel drying. When your hair is wet, it’s fragile and more vulnerable to damage; rough towel drying can damage the cuticle, leading to frizz among other things.
- Gently squeeze your hair with your towel to remove excess water.
- Frizz-proof your hair with added hydration. Our Happy Ending Nourishing Balm will defrizz, defluff and define, sealing 50% of split ends and protecting your strands from damage.
- Protect when heat styling. Unprotected heat styling at high temperatures without heat protection is an open invitation to damaged cuticles and frizz. Protect with Save the Do, Volume Foam and Modern Hairspray.
HOW CAN I KEEP HAIR FROM FRIZZING IN HUMIDITY AFTER STRAIGHTENING?
Adding heat protection to your straightening routine will not just protect your hair from damage, which can lead to dry, brittle strands, it will also fend off frizz. Our Modern Hairspray forms a protective shield between your styling tool and your hair, up to 230C, and will fight frizz in humidity by smoothing the cuticle, keeping hair soft and manageable with lasting hold.
WHAT ARE YOUR TIPS FOR BLOW-DRYING HAIR WITHOUT FRIZZ?
Before blow drying, it is important to use a protectant to shield your hair from heat. Our Save The Do Blow Dry Style Starter is formulated with this in mind, creating a protective shield whilst helping to smooth the cuticle and adding a light styling hold, which will keep frizz at bay for beautifully, glossy and healthy-looking hair. Point the nozzle of your hairdryer down the hair to smooth and boost shine. Once a section of hair is dry, mist with Modern Hairspray and repeat to lock in style, amplify shine and keep frizz in check for longer. It's such an easy hack to add in, and it makes a huge difference.
HOW CAN I GET RID OF FRIZZ FAST?
To quickly smooth down your frizz, reach for our Dressed To Kill Define and Defrizz Creme that controls your flyaways whilst giving a high-shine, polished finish to your do. Ideal for thick, coarse and unruly hair types at all lengths, this reworkable creme pomade defines and de-fluffs in an instance, getting rid of frizz fast.
Discover our products formulated with defrizzing in mind.