SAM’S GUIDE TO VA VA VOLUME DO's
There’s nothing more confidence-boosting than a big, bold and voluminous DO. It’s elevating in more ways than one, the ultimate mood booster.
If you’re looking to turn up the volume and channel some big hair energy, stay tuned because I am sharing my Tweak and Transform tips, tricks and expert hacks that will give your hair a larger-than-life volume boost. Together we can take your hair to new heights and keep it there. Go big, don’t go home.
TRANSFORM YOUR DO
Use a lightweight volumising shampoo and conditioner that won’t weigh your hair down and cause your Do to droop. From our NEW Cool Girl Care Collection, try our Volume Cleanse Shampoo and Volume Nourish Conditioner, formulated with Voluminis™ to get thicker, fuller hair from the first use. If you have a non-volumising mask, save your deep conditioning treatments or the richly nourishing shampoo/conditioner for the day after. However, with our new Cool Girl Bigger Love Treatment Mask, you can even add volume Follow on for my step-by-step guide to fuller, volume-packed hair.
- Using Cool Girl Volume Cleanse, double cleanse your hair, then rinse, rinse and rinse again to ensure you haven’t left any residue on your hair that would leave it looking dull and feeling flat and heavy. Follow with Cool Girl Volume Nourish, or for hair in need of repair, our intensely revitalising Bigger Love Treatment Mask mends 50% of split ends from the first use whilst adding volume and thickness to your hair.
- Spray my award-winning Cool Girl Superlift Volumising Spray to your roots – it’s the ultimate style starter for any full-hair look and gives your Do staying power.
- For all-over volume from root to tip, work my Cool Girl Volume Blow Dry Foam from the crown down to the ends of your hair and comb through. This lightweight foam transforms even the finest hair, leaving it fuller, thicker-looking and touch-ably natural.
- Rough dry your hair upside down until it’s 80% dry.
- Flip your head back up, divide your hair into sections and use a round bristle brush to smooth the hair out and create shine. Take the nozzle off your hairdryer as you blow-dry unless your hair is thick or coarse as the concentration of airflow can smooth down and flatten the hair.
- After each section is dry, roll it around a Velcro roller, making sure you are lifting the hair upwards as you roll to preserve all that lift and volume in the hair. Leave the hair to cool, which will set the curl and lift.
- Take the rollers out and spray some of my Modern Hairspray onto your hairbrush before gently brushing your hair from root to tip. The hairspray-on-brush is a little trick we use to reduce static and tame flyaways.
- To perfect your DO and maintain your volume use my Happy Endings Nourishing Balm on the ends of your hair. If your hair is thick/coarse and hard to manage, then use my Dressed To Kill Define and Defrizz Creme.
- Tease your hair at the crown using your fingers to get extra height if you want it.
- Set your Do with a mist of my Modern Hairspray which gives a natural, long-lasting hold. I never finish a Do without it.
TWEAK YOUR DO
When time isn’t on your side, my super-quick hair tweaks will take your hair to new heights.
An instant volume booster is a quick flip of your parting in the opposite direction from how you usually wear it. You won’t believe the difference.
If you don’t have time to style after washing your hair, spray my Cool Girl Superlift Volumising Spray onto your roots, tip your head upside and rough dry lifting your hair from the roots upwards with your fingers. Then tie your hair gently into a topknot with a silk hair band that won’t leave a dent in your do. When your hair has cooled down, take out the top knot, and you’ll have an instant wave, lots of texture and great root lift.
The hack I use on photoshoots that creates instant volume and thicker-looking hair requires a can of my iconic Cool Girl Barely There Texture Mist. I ask the model to flip her head upside side down, and give her hair a good brush from the roots to the ends before spraying my Cool Girl mist into her hair. Then, she tips her head up and done!
Don’t be afraid to backcomb your hair at the roots. I’m not talking about a 60s beehive here – just teasing the hair at the crown and roots with a tail comb is all it takes for a little root boost. It’s what all the models and celebrities do!
For more inspo, take a look at Jen from Team McKnight embracing her Cool Girl energy.